I first met Mike Blea (of Michael Blea Design) when I worked at LAPTOP Magazine. He was part of the magazine’s design team, building the magazine’s layout, mocking up covers, and helping with graphics for web. We’ve remained friends even after both of us left that job, and Mike even helped me design the cover for 8 Things to Learn Before Making Your App.
I wanted to bring Mike on the show to have a fresh perspective on building products. I, personally, am completely design challenged — a glaringly apparent fact when looking at the first version of my first app Reader Tracker. I’ve learned a lot about the value of good design since then, and Mike has definitely helped me out along the way.
Mike gives some insights into the life of a professional designers and shares some tips for hiring a freelance designer of your own. If you work it right, you won’t end up spending a fortune.
Here’s what we chat about:
- Going from mocking art to making a living from it
- Getting Photoshop doesn’t make you a designer any more than Xcode will make you a developer
- How to foster an appreciation for art
- How a background in math and science can help make better art
- Why it’s important to start with pen and paper
- Why people are so over Christmas by the end of the season
- The difference between Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Why user interface design is so different from traditional print layouts
- What to look for when hiring a freelance designer
Links mentioned in this show include:
- Golden Ratio
- Vitruvian Man
- Adobe Kuler
- Color Scheme Designer
- Dark Patterns
- Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug
Did you enjoy this episode? Thank Mike on Twitter!
If you thought this episode of the podcast was interesting, take a few seconds and let Mike know by clicking the link below to share via Twitter:
Are there any user experience designs that drive you absolutely crazy? Let us know in the comments below!
Can’t get enough?
There’s a new episode every week, so subscribe to stay in the loop! I have some amazing guests lined up that you won’t want to miss!
If you have a moment, I’d also really appreciate you leaving an honest rating and review of the Novice No Longer podcast. It helps immensely with iTunes search and ranking, and helps other people discover this new show. You can rate it by clicking here.
Theme music by the talented Will Larche.
Thanks again for listening!