In this week’s podcast episode, I share how I escaped the retail world and got into tech journalism. It’s all because of a little personal website I started. I also explain how you, too, can benefit from starting your own website — even if you don’t want to get int journalism — and how to do it.
This is a special edition of the podcast because there’s no guest, it’s just me! I ended up getting so much feedback and so many questions about last week’s podcast that I wanted to tell my story in more depth.
If you don’t yet have your own website, you need to listen to this episode. When you’re ready to get going, I’ve embedded the first tutorial in my video course.
If you found this helpful, please use my Bluehost affiliate link to get your hosting and domain!
Here’s what I talk about:
- How I got a job in tech journalism with only a retail work background
- How my first website began as a vinyl sticker that just said “moist”
- Why I used WordPress for my first blog, and why you should too
- WordPress.com VS WordPress.org
- SEO tricks that will help you get organic traffic for your content
- How a post about my magnet implant got my a job in journalism
- The story behind my first iPhone apps
- What you do becomes your identity without you even realizing it
- The difference between hosting and a domain name
- What you should change for every single fresh WordPress install
- The easy things you can do to vastly improve your website’s SEO
- What you should write about on your blog, even if you’re not a writer
Links mentioned in this show include:
- Sponsor: Planet 1107
- Cinema Sewer (NSFW)
- Sticker Guy
- 6-Minute Website NNL Tutorial
- Daring Fireball
- Body Hacking: My Magnetic Implant
- Hacker News
- Michael Hartl’s Rails Tutorial
- How I built and promoted WorkBurst
- TripExpert…launching soon!
- Bluehost – hosting and domain name
- 013 : It’s not just SEO, it’s building a brand with John DeFeo
Did you enjoy this episode? Share it on Twitter
If you thought this episode of the podcast was interesting, take a few seconds and let me know by sharing it with your followers:
Click here to share this post on Twitter! (you can edit it first!)
Have you started your own website? Share the link in the comments below!
Can’t get enough?
There’s a new episode every week, so subscribe to stay in the loop! I have some amazing guests lined up that you won’t want to miss!
If you have a moment, I’d also really appreciate you leaving an honest rating and review of the Novice No Longer podcast. It helps immensely with iTunes search and ranking, and helps other people discover this new show. You can rate it by clicking here.
Thanks again for listening!