LAPTOP Magazine’s Daniel Howley joins me to talk about the do’s and don’ts about pitching your product to the press. Tech journalists’ email inboxes are particularly full this time of year because of CES, an annual trade show that’s the main event for many companies in the technology industry.
But with lots of emails comes lots of inefficient emails. Did you know that out of 50 PR emails, Daniel only actually uses about five? If you’re a small startup or sole developer, you need to be one of those five emails in order to survive.
Daniel shares what it takes to get read and noticed, and these strategies can be applied immediately.
(Hint: It’s not as hard as you might think.)
Here’s what we chat about:
- How to get your email noticed in the crazy inbox of a tech journalist
- Fatal mistakes made by big PR companies (and how to avoid them)
- How to capitalize on your competitor’s press
- One mistake that results in journalists immediately deleting your email
- What goes on behind the scenes of tech publications
- A ready-to-use formula for writing effective press releases
- How to avoid being “old news”
- The most overdone product category at this year’s CES
- Are wearables the next evolution of technology?
- How Apple could kill it with their rumored “iWatch”
- Why live TV and Radio won’t be going away any time soon
Links mentioned in this show include:
- Fire drill: can Tony Fadell and Nest build a better smoke detector?
- Shootout: Best Portable Scanners
- The quantified workout: one run, eight trackers
- The creepiest smartwatch commercial you’ll ever see
- Pebble smartwatch
- 1010 WINS news radio
Did you enjoy this episode? Thank Daniel on Twitter!
If you thought this episode of the podcast was interesting, take a few seconds and let Daniel know by clicking the link below to share via Twitter:
Click here to thank Daniel on Twitter!
Have you tried to pitch your product to the press before? How did it work? Let us know in the comments below!
Can’t get enough?
I’ve got even more amazing guests lined up, so you’re definitely going to want to tune in and see what’s coming next. I’ve got graphic designers, developers, app makers, and more journalists to come!
Click here to subscribe via iTunes
Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
Click here to subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
If you have a moment, I’d also really appreciate you leaving an honest rating and review of the Novice No Longer podcast. It helps immensely with iTunes search and ranking, and helps other people discover this new show. You can rate it by clicking here.
The Novice No Longer Podcast intro music was composed by the talented Will Larche.
Thanks again for listening!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 54:19 — 100.6MB) | Embed