Search engine optimization (SEO) can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. We all know the results of SEO — your website gets launched to the front page of Google search results, but very few know what to do to make that happen. Everyone knows that they should be doing it, but they don’t know what it is.
And then there’s some people, like John DeFeo, who do this stuff for a living. I invited John on the show to share his knowledge and passion for marketing and branding. We talk about the best practices for both launching a new site or fixing your current site, and he shares why getting to the front page of Google is about so much more than collecting back links.
If you want to build a visible online business or market your product on the web, this is an episode you need to hear.
Here’s what we chat about:
- Why SEO has become way more than website structural information
- Black Hat versus White Hat SEO
- Google’s Penguin update and how it affected the web
- The math behind PageRank (and it has nothing to do with the search result page you’re on
- The potential dangers of personalized search
- How search results are a zero-sum game
- Why you should never ever ever ever buy an “article spinner”
- What is a link profile and how you can generate yours
- Off-label use for Google’s search autocomplete
- Why you need to write meta descriptions for all your pages
- Canonical tags and why they’re so damn important
- Why you always see questions marks in URLs, and what that means
- The most surprising source of traffic for my websites
Links mentioned in this show include:
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Google Analytics
- Google Trends
- Google Adwords keywords planner
- The First News Report on the L.A. Earthquake Was Written by a Robot by Will Oremus
- All in One SEO Pack
Did you enjoy this episode? Thank John on Twitter!
If you thought this episode of the podcast was interesting, take a few seconds and let John know by clicking the link below to share via Twitter:
Were you hurt by Google’s Penguin update? Let us know in the comments below!
Can’t get enough?
There’s a new episode every week, so subscribe to stay in the loop! I have some amazing guests lined up that you won’t want to miss!
If you have a moment, I’d also really appreciate you leaving an honest rating and review of the Novice No Longer podcast. It helps immensely with iTunes search and ranking, and helps other people discover this new show. You can rate it by clicking here.
The Novice No Longer Podcast intro music was composed by the talented Will Larche.
Thanks again for listening!